Sunday, February 24, 2013

Meanwhile back at the ranch...

My husband says I need to post a little catch up from the last two and a half years of missed posts.  Just for our sake if nothing else.

Our kids have grown and changed so much.  Jacob is 11-almost 12 and in sixth grade.  Libby (still the princess) is 9 and in 3rd grade.  Jaden is 7 and in 1st grade.  They all have such different personalities. 

Jacob is still very caring and concerned about others.  He loves people and he also loves music.  He just took his first trumpet solo to band contest and received a 1 rating!  His judge was so complimentary. It made this mama very proud!  He also did tackle football and is getting ready for his first 6th grade basketball game next week.  He likes sports O.K.  and is really improving in his athletic ability, but the kid has music in his soul ;)  He is becoming such a wonderful young man!
 
Libby is miss social.  She did cheer team for Jacob's tackle football team this year.  She really loved it.  Mostly  because she got to go be with friends every Saturday, I believe.  And she just finished playing Saturday morning town league basketball.  I am fairly sure she wouldn't have even cared if her coach never put her in just as long as she got to talk with her girl friends on the bench.   She made the most important decision of her life and accepted Jesus as her Savior.  What a blessing to have her as my sister in Christ also. She is fun and brings such joy to our lives!  But, girls are a different ballgame than boys, that is for sure!  Thankful she and her daddy get along so well!

Jaden is all boy. Let me restate that.  Jaden is all COWBOY.  He loves anything to do with outside.  Cows, horses, tractors, 4-wheelers, cutting wood  (thank you Lord), roping, riding, and wearing his boots!  He thinks he can't wear anything but wranglers. He is a ball of fire and you never know what is going to come out of his mouth.  He is our live entertainment.  And we wouldn't have it any other way!

I am in a job that I love now.  I was offered a teaching position in the same classroom I did my student teaching in. 1st grade!  I love it!!   I get to be at school with my kids and have the same schedule as them.  It is a very rewarding job but also very tiring.  I am in my third year and just finally starting to feel like I am getting the hang of it.  The load feels a little lighter now.  That is another reason I feel like I can tackle the blog again. 

Jason is still at St. Joe. But he is now on days, usually 8 hrs. a day and 5 days a week.  This is a major blessing!  We see each other now more than ever in our 14 years of marriage.  And, don't tell him, but I still like him even when he is around more.

We are still in the little house on the hill. We have dreams of building a house but nothing has worked out yet.  So we are trusting in God's timing and know that we are still here at this time, in this place for a purpose. 

We have went from goat farmers to cattle ranchers (according to Jaden...a.k.a. J-rod -his cowboy name).  We now have about 20 head of cows in our cow/calf operation.  Jason is working on crossing different (read- not angus) breeds to create an excellent mother/milker/that will throw a smaller calf/efficient (produces a large calf by weaning time)/docile  cow.  whew.  Ironically, I think these are also the qualities that drew him to me.  Just kidding.  I think.  He could go on and on telling you about his cows but I really don't know that much about it. I do know one interesting fact is that we went to Texas a little over a year ago for some bred cows.  We traveled to Albany, TX and met the most kind and caring rancher. Watt Casey.   His family has been on the same ranch for over a century.  They are related to the Lasater family that developed the beefmaster breed of cattle.  We had a great time and really learned a lot from Mr. Casey.  Jaden is ready to go back at any time.  These cows are the most tame cows you have ever seen.  When we first arrived Watt took my baby into a pen with this monster of a bull and lead him right up to it and the monster ate right out of my babies hand.  Pretty amazing stuff.  The cows we brought home will also come to you and eat out of your hand.  We lovingly call them "the girls" because that is what Watt called them.  We are enjoying our cows and learning a lot while we are at it. 

That's it for now.  We are headed to cousin Caleb's 5th birthday party. (As soon as daddy get's in from chores).  Maybe I will bring back some pictures!  I am going to do better. 
A

No comments: